MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Default life of a Blaster 2 coil?

How long should a Blaster 2 coil last?

I've been using one for close to ten years now, with a 6a box, on my supercharged Honda.

I'm ordering a bunch of other ignition related "tune-up" parts, would I benefit from a new coil?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..." right. Well, I do have hard starting at times, where I have to crank and crank before it will finally turn over. Also at high RPM, ignition misses/stutters when boosting. Otherwise, runs great.

TIA
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
MSD Tech

The Blaster coils don't particularily have any sort of experation date or specific time when they will fail. We have had coils last for many years and unfortunately we have had coils fail after a few months.

Remember that a coil is doing, possibly, 8 times the work of most of the other components in he car.

The coil may be failing and may causing the trouble you are having with the stuttering under boost.

You might be experiencing some sort of "RF" noise interference. Make sure that the trigger wires to the MSD (small white or green/violet wires) are seperated from the wires going from the box back to the coil (orange/black) are seperated from each other by 6"-8" and that the trigger wires are kept away from any power wire that carries power to any device that spins, such as an electric fan, fuel pump, or water pump by that same 6"-8" distance.