PDA

View Full Version : 65 Ford with 390 FE

65fordowner
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a 1965 Ford with an FE 390 and am considering swapping out my points and condenser and newer (but Ford stock) coil for an MSD ignition. Today I occasionally have some hesitation/sluggishness at low RPM, some unburned fuel even when engine is tuned fairly lean etc. Holley 600 CFM 4bbl, solid C6, 3.73 rear gears. I did not build the engine myself, but it runs well and seems to be in pretty good shape.

Three questions:

1) What components do I need from MSD to do this?
2) What components of the above list are required (i.e. will provide definite
significant performance improvement) and what components are optional
(i.e. may provide performance improvement)
3) Assuming engine has decent compression, timing is set correctly, carb is
properly tuned etc., what type of performance gains should I expect?

Thanks!

msdtech22
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Are you replacing the coil only?

If so I would recommend the MSD PN 8202, Blaster II coil. This is an oil filled coil and must be mounted in a 'tower up' position. With just a coil replacement, you would need a .8 OHM (PN 8214) Ballast resistor to run with the stock ignition. Power gains with a coil alone will probably not be noticable.

Power gains would be more apparent when you add or install a 6 series MSD CD ignition unit. Adding this box will give you 5-6 times the more energy delivered at the coil over the factory ignition. You could use either a 6A (PN 6200) or a 6AL (PN 6420) [built-in rev. limiter version]. With the added energy, you should see easier starts, better throttle response, and cleaner exhaust emmissions. The CD ignitions have a function on them called'multi-spark' at rpms below 3,000 rpm. This will fire the plug multiple times during each firing of the plug making sure that the air/fuel mixture is completely burned.

Many of our customers marvel at the fact that when adding an MSD CD ignition unit to their vehicle, particularily and ol;der engine, the engine 'perks' up and runs much better and more efficiently.

A coil that would be good match for that system over the Blaster II coil, if using a CD ignition, would be the Blaster SS (PN 8207).

65fordowner
10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your response. I assume I can keep the stock distributor which has points and condenser now, but I want to replace the points and condenser. Does a repalcement module (to replace points and condenser) come with the part numbers mentioned above and if not, what is the correct part number?

Is there a major gain from also replacing the distributor?

msdtech22
10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I do not offer any conversion kit to convert from points to electronic ignition. A company named Pertronix, www.pertronix.com phone number 1-800-827-3758 specializes in conversion kits.

A distributor replacement (MSD Ready-to-Run PN 8595) would have an electronic module in the distributor and would be an energy impriovement to the coil which would in turn be an improvement over the points. That improvement would be mild compared to the added 5-6 times the improvement once an MSD 6 series ignition is attached. The Ready-to-Run distributor needs to be used if not using an MSD 6 series ignition unit.

65fordowner
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I am going to order a PN 6420 or PN 6200 MSD ignition and a PN 8202Blaster II coil. If you could recommend one or the other for a street driver and general hauler I would appreciate it. If it doesn't really matter, I will just go with the cheaper unit.

Will also add the Pertronix ignition module to convert from points.

Thanks for your help.

I do not offer any conversion kit to convert from points to electronic ignition. A company named Pertronix, www.pertronix.com phone number 1-800-827-3758 specializes in conversion kits.

A distributor replacement (MSD Ready-to-Run PN 8595) would have an electronic module in the distributor and would be an energy impriovement to the coil which would in turn be an improvement over the points. That improvement would be mild compared to the added 5-6 times the improvement once an MSD 6 series ignition is attached. The Ready-to-Run distributor needs to be used if not using an MSD 6 series ignition unit.

msdtech22
10-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Not a problem, anytime we can help.